Dietary Diaries

The food inspired musings of a culinarily inclined nerd.

Name:
Location: Berkeley, California Bay Area, United States

Berkana signifies rebirth and new beginnings; I have found these in Jesus Christ.

Saturday, October 23, 2004

Me Want Honeycomb!

While waiting for my laundry to do itself at the laundromat on Thursday afternoon, I learned that every week on Thursdays, the connecting street between Shattuck Avenue and Rose Street (in Berkeley) gets blocked off, and local organic farmers sell their goods there, while random street musicians serenade the shoppers. There were weird mutant heirloom veggies, fruits, pastries, cider, and even fish. One of the booths was that of Marshall Farms beekeepers, and one of the products they offered was single servings of honeycomb (full of honey, not the empty comb, which would be gross). They said it goes great with cheese. I thought to myself, :oP "mmm. . . a mouth full of cheesy wax. . ."

Well, curiosity got the best of me, and I bought one of the sample sized honeycomb units. I must admit, honeycomb has a delicious texture like nothing else I've tasted, and tastes like honey. (duh.) The proprietors of the booth say that the wax is edible and even good for you, but I couldn't get myself to swallow the wax. I just chewed the comb until the wax all bunched up like a wad of gum and all the honey was gone, and spat it out. I hear that honeycomb is often served by smearing it on bread. In any case, as a relatively novel culinary experience, I felt I ought to blog it as a dietary diary.

Now I can relate to some of the passages in scripture that mention honeycomb.

Proverbs 24:13-14
 Eat honey, my son, for it is good,
and the honeycomb is sweet to your palate;
realize that wisdom is the same for you.
If you find it, you will have a future,
and your hope will never fade.

As for the mentions of honeycomb in the Song of Songs, well, hopefully some day soon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home